Vice President of Commercial Nootkatone at Evolva
Giovanni Salerno is responsible for commercializing Evolva’s exclusive nootkatone technology for the pest control industry as senior vice president of Global Technology and Integration. Most recently, he was site manager for Evolva Research & Development facilities in Lexington, Kentucky. Under his leadership, Evolva received the EPA biopesticide classification and developed nootkatone through an $8.3 million award from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Since 2006, Salerno has served Evolva as vice president of Research and Development, managing a Department of Defense (DoD) funded antibiotic program targeting a new biothreat, and project integration manager, managing a $27 million program funded by the Defense Threat Reduction Agency. Previously, Salerno led the Transversal Programmes for the Global Antibiotic Research and Development Partnership (GARDP), a Geneva based non-profit, focused on addressing antimicrobial resistance. He completed his Master of Science degree in Chemical and Pharmaceutical Sciences and Master of Pharmacy degree at the University of Trieste in Italy.
Giovanni Salerno LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/giovanni-salerno-a993305/
- Evolva studies show NootkaShield™ nootkatone is effective at repelling and controlling a wide spectrum of biting insects, including mosquitoes and ticks. Evolva proprietary research, results available upon request.
- CDC Confirms Efficacy of Nootkatone In Field Trial
McAllister JC, Adams MF, Mode of action for natural products isolated from essential oils of two trees is different from available mosquito adulticides. Division of Vector-Borne Infections Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Journal of medical entomology. 2010 Nov;47(6):1123-6.
- NootkaShield™ can be an effective alternative to mosquito populations with resistance to conventional pesticides
Jordan RA, Schulze TL, Dolan MC, Efficacy of plant-derived and synthetic compounds on clothing as repellents against Ixodes scapularis and Amblyomma americanum (Acari: Ixodidae). Journal of medical entomology. 2012 Jan;49(1):101-6.
Images and Videos
- CDC free image/video library: phil.cdc.gov
- B-roll – ticks on the finger: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYR7I1IIZdM
- Eve explains Evolva’s fermentation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y96w21HkaHQ
- Evolva logo
- NootkaShield logos
Nootkatone Media coverage
- Nootkatone tested as a mosquito repellent, Chemical & Engineering News (Evolva mentioned) https://cen.acs.org/articles/94/i14/Nootkatone-tested-mosquito-repellent.html
- Repelling Bugs With The Essence Of Grapefruit, NPR https://www.npr.org/2011/04/18/135468567/repelling-bugs-with-the-essence-of-grapefruit
- With Lyme On The Rise, N.H. Governor Asks EPA To Speed Approvals For New Tick Repellants, Science Friday https://www.sciencefriday.com/segments/with-lyme-on-the-rise-n-h-governor-asks-epa-to-speed-approvals-for-new-tick-repellants/